The guidelines below will help you have a more successful and rewarding experience learning an instrument. These are tips and suggestions that we have put together over the course of our teaching careers that we find help best prepare and enhance students' time and effort.
Important Questions to Consider Before Enrolling
When deciding whether or not music lessons are for you or your child, consider the following questions:
- Does my schedule permit me to attend/bring my child to lessons consistently?
- Does our family schedule permit me/my child to practice on a daily/regular basis?
- Am I willing to sit and help my child practice or complete theory homework on a regular basis?
- Do I have an instrument/am I willing to purchase an introductory instrument?
- Can I afford regular lessons without lapses in payment?
Important Questions to Consider When You're Ready To Enroll
Once you've decided that lessons are possible for you and your family, consider the following questions:
- What instrument am I interested in for myself/my child?
- What days of the week and times work best for my family's schedule?
- What credit/debit card will I be using?
I Can't Pick An Instrument!
Don't worry! We understand that choosing an instrument can be difficult. Here are some helpful tips to help you find the best instrument for you or your child.
- When choosing for your child:
- Ask them what are the 2 instruments they find the most interesting. (Note that most children do not often think of singing, so you may prompt them with this option.)
- Use these everyday clues:
- Singing along with the radio in the car
- Singing in the shower
- Tapping pens/pencils on the table
- Playing on instruments already in your home
- Listening to music with similar instrumentation (i.e. guitar music, piano music, etc.)
- When choosing for yourself
- Ask yourself what is most interesting to you.
- When listening to music, see if your favorite few songs have similar instruments featured.
The last and simplest trick to see what instrument would be best is to just take a lesson or two! We offer trial classes to help you choose the instrument and instructor that's the best fit for you or your child. Click below to view our tuition breakdown or request information. If you are totally lost, give us a call at (281) 778-2378 and an agent will assist you today!